Wataru Endo‘ Full Debut vs Liecester

 REACTIONWataru Endo: I was happy I could show who I am

Wataru Endo was pleased he could show his qualities by helping drive Liverpool to a 3-1 Carabao Cup win over Leicester City on Wednesday night.

The Japan international made his first start at Anfield since sealing a move to the Reds last month from Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart.

Endo claimed an assist with a pass into Dominik Szoboszlai that the latter rifled into the top corner, a goal that came in between efforts from Cody Gakpo and Diogo Jota to turn the tie around after Kasey McAteer’s early opener for Leicester.

“I enjoyed it so much,” Endo told The Athletic post-match. “I thought I was better than in the other games. I am happy that I was able to show who I am.

“Defensively, I’m trying to adapt. Like I played in the second half tonight, I wanted to play like that at Newcastle and in the Europa [League] game [at LASK], but I understand I needed some time. It felt so good to play the full 90 minutes and I felt like I was able to make a difference.

“If I keep playing like I did in the second half, then I hope I’ll play more in the Premier League. I feel ready. I have to perform like that in every game.”


The clash with the Foxes was the midfielder’s sixth appearance for the club to date, one that earned praise after the final whistle from Jürgen Klopp, who described the No.3’s display as ‘super’.



Assessing how he is adapting to the specific requirements of Liverpool’s set-up, Endo said: “The system is different, the game is faster and my position here is a little bit higher than it was.


“The manager doesn’t want me to just stay in front of the defenders. I have to go higher and try to get the ball all the time.


“Here we have to win every game, but I don’t feel pressure as a result of that. I am humble, but I have the mentality that I’m here because they believe in me.


“It’s exciting to be a part of it. This is my dream and I’m enjoying it. We have done great so far.”


Comments